Removing & Deactivating Participants and Panelists
There are several reasons why you may need to remove a participant from a study, or deactivate their account entirely. This article will explain the difference between these two actions and how to execute them.
Removed from Study vs. Deactivated
You can learn more about removing personally identifiable information from your panelists profile in our Personal Data Removal knowledge base article.
Removing Participants from a Study
- You may wish to remove a participant from a study if you experience dropout and want to replace that participant with a new recruit.
- You may wish to remove a group of participants from a study if you plan to run a full new wave of participants through an already completed study.
How to Remove Participants from a Study
There are 3 different ways that you can remove a participant from a study:
1. From the participants profile page within the study, select the Remove from Study option available from the Options dropdown menu in the upper righthand corner:
2. From the Participant Directory:
- Select the participants you would like to remove
- Select Remove from Study from the Bulk Action dropdown menu at the bottom of the page
- Select Apply
3. Via Bulk Import.
Once a participant has been removed, they will no longer appear in the Active section of the participant directory. Their previous responses will still be visible in the summary stream and all transcripts and exports. Removed participants names will appear in light grey, and you will have limited participant management options.
Finding Inactive Participants
You can find participants who have been removed from a study or who have been deactivated from the Inactive section of the Participant Directory. Use the filter menu to the top of the Directory to switch between the Active and Inactive sections.
How to Deactivate Panelists
There are 3 ways that you can deactivate a panelist account:
1. From their edit panelist page, click on the radial button next to Inactive below their name:
2. From All Panelists:
- Select the panelists you would like to deactivate
- Select Deactivate from the Bulk Action dropdown menu at the bottom of the page
- Select Apply
3. Via Bulk Import
Because the profile information is retained, bulk imports containing the email address of a deactivated panelist will update that panelist rather than creating a new account.
Finding Deactivated Panelist Accounts
Once deactivated, you will need to select the Only deactivated panelists toggle to locate those accounts.