Moderating Live Video Interviews
Starting 15 minutes before the designated start time of a Live Video Interview, a Join Meeting button will appear on the interview activity page for the host, the participant, and any other administrator with the permissions to join the backroom of the meeting:
Clicking on this button opens a tech check page prior to entering the meeting. Here, attendees can confirm that their camera/microphone are working, and can choose to disable either of these before officially entering the meeting.
While the participant is automatically taken to the front room of the meeting, any administrator who is not the official meeting host will be taken to the backroom by default.
The meeting host has the option to join the front room or the backroom of the meeting.
If they join the backroom, they will need to open the directory and select Host Meeting to begin hosting the meeting.
As soon as both the participant and the host have joined the meeting, the recording begins.
Once in the meeting, a number of settings and options are integrated into the interface for easy access:
1. Meeting Chat Toggle: The meeting chat toggle can be used to open or close the chat. When opened, the chat window can be moved around the screen and resized as needed.
2. Meeting Chat Window: The meeting chat can be used to communicate in writing with the participant, share prepared content, or communicate with members of the backroom using the backroom tab within the chat window. The chat window will automatically open on the right side of your screen. You can use the arrow icon in the upper right hand corner of the window to pop out the chat in a floating window (the same icon can be used to snap the chat back to the right as well).
3. Audio Channel Controls: Live Activities can have multiple audio channels. This button allows you to determine which channels you would like to hear. You can also select the customize option to set the levels for each available channel individually.
4. Microphone: This button can be used to toggle your microphone on and off.
5. Camera: This button can be used to toggle your camera on and off during the meeting
6. Screen Sharing: Hosts can use this button to share their screen with participants or request that participants share theirs. Once screen sharing is enabled, the user sharing their screen will have the option to choose whether to share their entire desktop, a specific application window, or even a tab within an application window.
7. Settings: Clicking here will bring up a modal where you can select the camera and microphone to use during the meeting.
8. The Participant Menu is where you can see everyone who is in the meeting, as well as their status. From here, you can select individuals to direct a message to (e.g. a front room message to the participant, or a backroom message to an administrator in the backroom). Clicking on another Moderator or Analyst will also allow you to pass hosting status to them so that they can take over the hosting duties within the interview.
To share prepared content during an interview, click post prepared item from within the chat box:
A menu will appear with several options:
1. Three distinct content lists, which separates content between what has been posted, what has been skipped, and what hasn’t been posted yet. In each list, content appears in order—unposted content appears in the order it was added, posted content appears in the reverse order of posting (with the first posted item appearing at the bottom of the list), and skipped content appears in the reverse order as well.
2. An add item button exists to allow you to add new content on the go. Content added via this method is saved into the prepared items section for the next interview! Adding a new item puts it at the end of the queue of prepared items, but the order of the items can be adjusted by dragging and dropping them into position.
3. An option to change the order of items by dragging and dropping
4. A drop down menu with options to post, skip, edit, duplicate, or delete item
5. An easily accessible Post Now button to upload content immediately.
It’s also possible to post items ad hoc into a meeting without preparing them beforehand using the + button next to the chat box. New items posted via this mechanism will not be saved in prepared content for later. You can also access the prepared items menu from this button!
When the meeting is concluded, use the X at the top right corner of the screen to exit. If you’re hosting or if you are the last Moderator or Analyst in the meeting, a modal will pop up asking whether you’d like to end the meeting or just leave it; if you leave the meeting, it will run in your absence for up to 5 minutes before ending automatically, or will end as soon as the last person leaves.
You can read our Live Video Interview Backroom article for more information on the backroom of Live Video Interviews!