Troubleshoot: Live Video Activities
Joining or hosting a live video meeting (group chat or interview) only requires a modern web browser and a reliable Internet connection. No additional software or browser extension is required.
Note that the system requirements for live video differ from the general system requirements for accessing Recollective.
If you are accessing Recollective from a network with a strict firewall, it's possible that the firewall may be actively blocking WebSockets (which are required for Live Video Activities). If you see the error message below on the Activity Overview or Meeting Entry page, you will need to use a different network or device:
Troubleshooting in the moment
- Close their browser entirely
- Restart their browser
- Return to Recollective and re-enter the meeting
- There is another administrator in the backroom
- You don't actually "end" the meeting when rebooting, just close the window. (If the meeting officially “ends” prematurely, the only way to resume is to reschedule with the participant for a different day or time, so we want to avoid this!)
Restarting the web browser will solve most audio and video issues. If a browser restart does not solve the issue, the user experiencing the issue should
- Try an alternate browser
- Try an alternate device
- Try an alternate network connection
Audio and Video Quality
Other Technical Tips for Successful Live Video Meetings
- If your WiFi router allows you the option of choosing between a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz connection, go with 5 GHz (this option has a shorter range so you may need to set up closer to your router, but the connection is stronger).
- Whenever you have time, close your browser window and open a new browser window in between interviews.
- Try to have as few browser windows open as possible during the chat or meeting. This applies to both you and participant(s).
- A description of the exact issue that’s occurring (e.g. Host cannot hear participant, participant cannot see or hear Host)
- The URL for the Live Video Interview or Live Group Chat Activity
- If applicable, any error messages that appear on the screen - either copy the exact text or take a screenshot and try to explain what actions you were trying to do prior to the message appearing