Live Group Chat Setup
Live Group Chat Activities enable you to build a chat-style Activity that opens at a specific date and time and typically closes after an hour or two of live conversation. During the Activity, participants can interact directly with the chat moderator(s) via typed messages and live polls.
Activity Date and Time
As part of a Live Group Chat Activity's setup, you must set its date. You'll be required to choose a Start Date and Start Time (i.e. the day and time of the live chat) as well as Duration (in minutes). The Activity's time zone will also be displayed on the setup page directly below the date field.
Once the setup is complete, participants will see the Activity card from their Activities page and be able to click into it. They can then use the Add to Calendar option to schedule the Activity in their preferred calendar application:
- Google Calendar
- Yahoo Calendar
- Live Calendar
- iCal (ICS)
Activity Visibility and Description
Like any Activity in a Recollective Study, you'll need to determine who it's visible to. Will the Activity be completed by All participants or just a subset of Study participants (e.g. Only select segments)?
You can also Allow clients to participate in the Live Group Chat using the offered control. If enabled, this control allows Clients tied to that Study to view the chat (including private messages) and is able to communicate with the other Admins in the backroom. Please note that the backroom collaboration permission from Study Settings does not need to be enabled, Clients will have this functionality by default for this Activity type. If you'd like for a Client to participate in the chat directly with participants, then you'll need to enable the Interact with participants permission.
You then have to prepare an Activity description (similar to the instructions in a Journal Activity's setup) that let people know what this Activity is about. This description will be also displayed if they click on the card from the Activities page.
Each Activity in a Recollective Study can have customized notifications tied to it. These notification options can be found by clicking on the Notifications tab next to Basic Settings towards the top of the Activity Setup page, or by clicking the More options... link towards the bottom.
For Live Group Chat Activities, the notification options are:
- Activity starts tomorrow (24 hours before start)
- Activity starts soon (1 to 2 hours before start)
- Activity started (actual start time)
If you have chosen to enable the point tracking feature for your Study, you will see a Points tab on the Activity Setup page with the option to Customize points awarded for activity completion. This is an opportunity to depart from the default point allocation for a Live Group Chat Activity as configured in Study Settings: Points.
Prepared Content Items
Once the setup stage is done and saved, you can begin to build out the content you know you'll need for the chat. Although this Activity type is used for synchronous engagement with participants, you can still draft the following prepared items using the Add Item button at the bottom of the page:
- Poll: Configure a question with a list of choices to choose from during the live chat. Polls can be required or optional, have their results anonymized, be single or multiple choice, display the choice options in a preset or randomized order (with the ability to lock certain ones in place), and the choices can add or remove people from Segments.
- Message: Compose statement or questions you know you'll need to ask during the live chat. Messages are ideal for an introduction line and explanation of the chat’s ground rules (like the one shown below) as well as having your guide's questions ready to be surfaced during the chat.
- Photo: Upload any images you know you'll need to present during the live chat. Photos are ideal for any concept or product images you may need to present to participants for feedback.
- Video: Upload any video content you know you'll need to present during the live chat. Videos are ideal for presenting advertisements to participants for feedback.
- File: Upload any file needed for the live chat that is not an image or video (e.g. Excel, PDF or PowerPoint).